Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How to Get the Most Out of Your Photographer, Part One: Hiring the Perfect Photographer

It's coming up on Oklahoma's Wedding Season!  Planning a wedding can be very stressful.  First, you have to pick the venue and book that...next on to the reception venue - if that is different - then your dress!  Oh my goodness, the dress. We mustn't forget that the dress may take up to 8 weeks to get in....

Then comes the photographer.  You know that the photographs are what will last forever.  Even ten years after I was married, I look back to the photos and it brings memories flooding back.  But how can you know that you have hired the right photographer for you?

When you are looking for a photographer, don't forget some simple ideas that might help you decide whether a certain photographer is right for you or not:

1.  The first thing you should do is to LOOK AT THEIR WEBSITE!!  I know this may seem strange to say...and yes of course you would!  But how is their website set up?  Do you love it?  Do you love their photography?

2.  Ask to see some of their work in print.  We all know that most photographers post their best work on their website.  The colors are vibrant and the music makes you settle in and "fall in love."  Ask to see an entire wedding, if you so choose.  That way you can see exactly what you might expect from them.  From staged to spur of the moment photos.

3.  Ask how the photographer edits their photos.  You might not care about what programs they use, and that's fine.  But ask if they personally retouch each photo.  That might not mean that they run each and every photo through Photoshop, but they may.  You just want to make sure that they are taking the time to color-correct and enhance each photo.  I have seen some photographers who run every single photo through the same "ritual" and every photo winds up looking exactly the same with the same fade to black look around the outside.  (Now, I'm not dogging the black around the edges.  Sometimes it really does add to the color intensity of the photo....just not EVERY SINGLE PHOTO.)

4.  Be very honest with your photographer.  If you are expecting something special from your photographer, let him or her know.  We're not mind-readers...and every bride and groom couple is different.  Some people enjoy the romantic look, others more bold.  Some want to push the envelope...others want to look like a model.  Which leads me to my next point:

5.  Pick the photographer that most captures your style.  Your photos will last forever and you want to like them for that long!  When I got married, I just had a photographer that did the "stand and pose" style.  If I could have had something different, I would have!  But now there are so many options, you can pick a photographer that fits your "photo personality."  Find that one and stick with them!

6.  And last but NOT least....Find a photographer that you trust.  One that has good business sense.  One that you feel like is going to take care of you.  Get it in writing.  The last thing you need is more stress, so find that one photographer that you feel the most comfortable with.  And enjoy your day!

Look back soon for some tips on what to ask of your photographer to capture every moment during your ceremony!!

á bientôt!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I don't think that there is a much higher calling than being about to stay home with your children. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to work out of my home, while being able to raise my children. I also love that I have found an outlet for my creative juices! I began taking art lessons in 2nd grade, but since having my three children have not had much time to draw and paint. Photography has become my creative outlet that I needed so badly. I take great joy and pride in doing my best to capture your special moments!