Monday, March 1, 2010

How to Get the Most Out of Your Photographer, Part Three: The Reception



So, once you are finished with your formal portraits and your ceremony, the reception is quite easy!  All you have to do now is enjoy yourself and visit with your guests.....oh, and do whatever your coordinator tells you to do!

Most photographers who are covering your reception will know to cover the cutting of your cake (and when you stuff it into each other's mouths.....), your toasts, your first dances, the throwing of the bouquet, and the garter toss.  My suggestions for your reception are quite simple:

1.  Meet with your photographer and give him or her a list of the things that you will be doing.  This may consist of exactly what I've listed in the paragraph above, or it might include other things.  This is not so much to check up on your photographer or make sure that they will be available for everything.  It's more for your photographer - just to have an idea of what your reception will entail.  You should also include in your meeting the discussion of whether or not you are wanting your photographer to capture your "get-a-way."

And may I make a suggestion here?  Most of the time - especially in the winter - your "get-a-way" winds up being in the dark.  No matter how great your photographer, it's difficult to light up the entire walkway to get perfect pictures of you running to your car amidst your favorite family and friends.  One of my favorite things I have seen done to solve this problem is to have a "fake get-a-way."  The couple had everything ready for their "get-a-way" immediately following the ceremony.  They escaped to a room while their guests assembled themselves outside of the church, and then once everyone was in place - rose petals in hand - the couple ran out to their car.  After they had "left," the guests went to their cars to head to the reception site.  The couple drove around in their car for a few minutes, then headed to the reception site and received the same introduction as most do at their reception.  I thought this was genius because the pictures I took were in the afternoon sunlight and turned out beautiful!

2.  If you have plenty of guests and specific ones that you want pictures of, designate one of your friends or family who can point out guests that they know you would want a picture of.

3.  Once you have taken care of all of your "duties" during the reception (ie - cake cutting, etc.), enjoy yourself!  Your photographer should be capturing your first moments as husband and wife.  Be gushy, lovey dovey, and kiss lots.  Those are the best pictures!

4.  Get outta dodge!  And enjoy your honeymoon!

á bientôt!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I don't think that there is a much higher calling than being about to stay home with your children. I am so blessed to have the opportunity to work out of my home, while being able to raise my children. I also love that I have found an outlet for my creative juices! I began taking art lessons in 2nd grade, but since having my three children have not had much time to draw and paint. Photography has become my creative outlet that I needed so badly. I take great joy and pride in doing my best to capture your special moments!